More at UBThisWinter
Embrace your inner winter. From skiing to ice skating, building a snowman to snow tubing, winter is a beautiful time of year. Take part in any — or all — of our winter session 2016 events. Check back as we add more events and information throughout the semester!
UBThisWinter Dance Workshop: Paul Matteson
- event Jan 16 - 20, 2017
- place UB Center for the Arts
- schedule 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. daily
- This five-day workshop intensive will feature guest artist Paul Matteson. The daily schedule will include pilates and technique classes in the morning and partnering classes in the afternoon. The workshop will have an end-of-workshop informal showing where participants perform the work learned throughout the week. The cost is $275 for the week with single day and single class options also available. Register online.
- 8:30 to 9:30 a.m. Pilates (Nancy Hughes)
- 9:45 t0 11:45 a.m. Technique (Paul Matteson) An investigation of off-balanced, yet precise multi-focused movement. Classes begin by grounding and strengthening the core of the body while encouraging an alert presence. From there, dancers progress through a series of buoyant and spiraling sequences that harness forces of momentum and demand intricate expressions of the limbs.
- 11:45 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Lunch (on your own)
- 12:30 – 2:30 p.m. Partnering Possibilities: A toolbox of methods for partnering (Paul Matteson)
- We will explore negative space, responses to touch, and various ways of harnessing momentum. By a quick bridging of improvisation into set work followed by imaginative reconstruction steps, we will develop dances that both honor and challenge compositional and performance standards.
University Library Events & Workshops